Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Southern Themed Books

There are a few Southern themed books that I love. Some of the books have been made into movies, and I've read the book and watched the movie for all of these. I prefer the book versions of Christy, Divine Secrets of the Ya-ya Sisterhood and Where the Heart Is. I prefer the movie versions of The Color Purple and Gone With the Wind. I love both versions equally of To Kill a Mockingbird. Do you like the following stories, and which do you prefer...the book or movie version?

Christy by Catherine Marshall

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The Color Purple by Alice Walker

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Divine Secrets of the Ya-ya Sisterhood by Rebecca Wells

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Where the Heart Is by Billie Lets

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket







7 comments:

Bar L. said...

I have read all these books! They are all wonderful. I also like William Faulkner but he's a bit much for me sometimes :)

Bar L. said...

P.S. I got you linked and will do a post tomorrow that introduces your new blog...if that's ok with you. If not let me know!!!

ChristyTN said...

Thanks, Barbara! I'm really enjoying writing my new blog! It's fun!!!

Linda said...

I have never read the Color Purple, but loved the movie. To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my favorite books. Atticus Finch is one of the most just characters ever written.

bob_vinyl said...

The Color Purple was a great book and To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my all-time favorites. Every parent could learn a bit from Atticus Finch. I hated Gone with the Wind so much that I can't imagine reading the book. While the sets may have been amazing for the time, the story is lousy and overdramatic and sympathetic to perhaps the biggest embarrassment of our nation's history.

By the way, has anyone read the Alice Walker poem, "Good Night Willie Lee, I'll See You in the Morning?" It's another of my favorites.

ChristyTN said...

I read The Color Purple when I was in middle school. It was a huge shock to me at that age. I really need to try reading it now as an adult! I love the movie. Have you ever tried reading a book that you hadn't read since you were a kid or teenager? I haven't read Alice Walker's poetry, so I'm going to look up that poem later.

I used to love Gone With the Wind when I was younger. One of my history professors in college told us to watch "Roots" instead of "Gone With the Wind". I did watch the movie series "Roots" three years ago. Then I got through about half of the book. It's terribly sad, but true to history.

bob_vinyl said...

"Good Night, Willie Lee, I'll See You In The Morning"
Alice Walker


Looking down into my fathers
dead face
for the last time
my mother said without
tears, without smiles
but with civility
"Good night, Willie Lee, Ill see you
in the morning."
And it was then I knew that the healing
of all our wounds
is forgiveness
that permits a promise
of our return
at the end.