Saturday, May 19, 2007

Pull up a comfy chair

Hey y'all! Pull up a comfy chair and let me pour you a nice tall glass of my Southern brewed iced tea. This is the place where I'll talk about many Southern related topics. I've decided to create this new blog to reminisce about my Southern upbringing and to discuss differences between living in Tennessee and Maryland. Plus, my family down South is always teasin me about my new way of talkin. I've been losin some of my Southern drawl, so I'm going to intentionally spell words to sound more Southern-like when spoken. Being Southern feels like a big part of who I am, so I wanted to stay in touch with that side of myself. Keep in mind that I'm still South of the Mason Dixon Line. I keep remindin my family that I'm technically still in the South!

5 comments:

Linda said...

Because Maryland was a border state many people in the south don't really consider us southern. I grew up about 2 hours northwest of where we live and I used to get teased about my accent. It was just a few things, but Bob used to really laugh at me. I bet if you went back home for even a few days your complete accent would return.

I look forward to reading your new blog.

ChristyTN said...

I bet that you're right, Linda! When I chat on the phone to my brother for a long time, I notice that I start talking more Southern again. I really love hearing different accents. I just added a link to the Rebel Yankee test which is a fun way to see how Southern you speak. My results were 69%. http://www.alphadictionary.com/articles/yankeetest.html

Linda said...

I was at 48%, barely in Yankeedom!

G. Shaun Jackson said...

I scored 100%. Of course I grew up in SE Kentucky and have lived in Tennessee for the past 8 years...

captain corky said...

I was born in North Carolina, raised in New Jersey and now I'm living in Kentucky back in the south to spawn I guess. ;)