Sunday, May 27, 2007

Dolly Parton is today's feature for...

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Dolly Parton spent her childhood in the Smoky Mountains of Tennessee. I admire that she gives back to her home community in so many ways. She has a compassionate desire to help make sure that the children in her hometown get a good start with early learning through access to books. Her foundation "Imagination Library" provides books to preschool children until they start kindergarten. Every preschool child living in Sevier County Tennessee gets a free age appropriate book every single month until they start kindergarten! In addition to this, she gives several scholarships to students at the local high school each year. Her theme park is a huge employer for the area as well.

I like some of her older music the best. I think her original version of "I Will Always Love You" is very pretty. Do you remember watching her tv show that was on during the 70s? I remember my mom disapproving of her attire which showed lots of cleavage. She would be swinging in this swing and singing which looked like fun. I also remember that my best friend had a Barbie sized Dolly Parton doll that we couldn't fit into any of Barbie's tops.

I'll leave you with some interesting Dolly related links.

http://www.imaginationlibrary.com/

www.dollywood.com










2 comments:

bob_vinyl said...

I like Just Because I'm a Woman a lot. The opening track, "You're Gonna Be Sorry," is a particular favorite, because it's such a strong woman song. She got kinda sketchy in the 70s and 80s, but has some good recent stuff, particularly 2001's Little Sparrow which includes an interesting cover of Collective Soul's "Shine." She also did the "Stairway to Heaven" cover which isn't so hot, but still better than I feared. I wrote about that one on my blog

ChristyTN said...

I'm going to embarrass Mark and reserve the library copies of those two CDs on his card so that he can check them out for me. Now I want to hear them.