Thursday, June 7, 2007

Obesity in the South

Last year the results of a study on obesity in the United States revealed that the highest percentage of obese people live in the South. I'm not sure if it's true, but I've been thinking about this on day two of my big diet and exercise plan. The study states that a number of factors cause Southern people to be chubbier including their foods. This is a map done by calorielab.com showing the percentages.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Even though I love Southern foods such as biscuits & gravy and fried chicken, I certainly don't eat them all the time. My diet is probably partially to blame for my chubbiness, but lack of exercise is an even bigger part of it for me. It's been difficult to find time to exercise like I should, but I have started an exercise routine that I can do inside the house with the kids.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Did you know that Richard Simmons is from the South? He's spent his childhood in New Orleans.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I really love his exercise videos because he has real people of all sizes doing the workout with him. It's not a bunch of perfectly shaped people doing complicated routines. Once I checked out such a video from the library and it just discouraged me, and I couldn't do it. Richard Simmons makes exercise fun, and you can laugh while dancing those pounds away. Add in the extra hilarity of seeing an 18 month old little boy trying to do it too, and you've got it made! Both of my kids think it's the funniest thing.
Another aspect of healthier living that I hadn't thought about till now is drinking plenty of water. Check out Barbara's post with an article that will really open your eyes to how important it really is... especially when you're dieting! http://barbara007.typepad.com/
Take care, and have a great weekend!

2 comments:

Linda said...

Excercising is something that I hate. I am hoping to get better at it. Since we got our water cooler, I find it so much easier to drink water.

ChristyTN said...

I usually hate floor exercises and doing stomach crunches. I really really need to do crunches, but I hate them! But that's the part of me that needs the most work! The RS workouts are fun and set to good music. That's great that you're drinking more water. It's really making me feel better to drink that instead of coffee. But I am always running to the bathroom now.