Sunday, June 10, 2007

BOTH Onions?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketSometimes when I'm tired, I start talking Southern. In this case, I said something very Southern Appalachian and my daughter didn't understand what the heck I was talking about. Both of my young'uns were being extremely wild, so I said "Both of yuns need to settle down! Both of yuns!" My little girl was fascinated and asked "Both onions, Mommy?" She kept repeating it like it was a question. "BOTH onions?"

Have you ever heard anyone say "yuns" or "young'uns" ? Both of these terms evolved from "you ones" and "young ones" ....terms used in the dialects of the Scotch Irish ancestors who settled in the mountains and valleys of East Tennessee, long ago. Yuns is one word in my vocabulary that had really stuck around.

1 comment:

Bar L. said...

I've heard young'uns before, like in movies or book with Southern characters, but I never knew a real live person that talked like that - till now :)