Monday, April 6, 2009

Kiss My Grits!

Today I was inspired to start writing here again, thanks to someone who made fun of my Southern drawl and accent. It just made me realize how proud of my heritage and my Southern roots I really am. I wanted to say "Kiss My Grits" or something else to the rude person, but I didn't because it was a customer at my job. I was caught off guard because I am used to people appreciating my easy and calm manner. I was very taken aback this morning. I don't want to lose my accent. I do pronounce some things differently than I used to, so I may even start making a conscious effort to speak more Southern from now on! I'm still a little ticked off.

Ok, I really want to talk a little bit about my special accent. My ancestors are not just from the South, they are also from the Appalachian mountains. I can remember my great grandmothers using some Appalachian terms! When I first went to college at Berea, I used some of these terms and some people had never heard of them! My younguns are tugging at my shirt to try to get me to go outside with them right now, so I will write more on this later! Thanks for reading! Damn it..younguns isn't in the spell check.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

My name is Patricia Neely-Dorsey. I am from Tupelo,MS and the author of Reflections of a Mississippi Magnolia-A Life in Poems.
I have been enjoying reading your blog and was wondering if you might possibly feature my book on your blog to introduce my book to your readers.
Cover picture and more info about me and the book
can be found on my website.


Patricia Neely Dorsey's Reflections of a Mississippi Magnolia-A Life in Poems is "a true celebration of the south and things southern." The author states , "There are so many negative connotations associated with Mississippi and the south in general. In my book, using childhood memories, personal thoughts and dreams, I attempt to give a positive glimpse into the southern way of life. In my book I try to show that there is much is more to Mississippi and the south than all of the negatives usually portrayed .I invite readers to Meet Mississippi (and the south) Through Poetry ,Prose and The Written Word."

SOUTHERN LIFE
If you want a glimpse of Southern life,
Come close and walk with me;
I'll tell you all the simple things,
That you are sure to see.
You'll see mockingbirds and bumblebees,
Magnolia blossoms and dogwood trees,
Caterpillars on the step,
Wooden porches cleanly swept;
Watermelons on the vine,
Strong majestic Georgia pines;
Rocking chairs and front yard swings,
Junebugs flying on a string;
Turnip greens and hot cornbread,
Coleslaw and barbecue;
Fried okra, fried corn, fried green tomatoes,
Fried pies and pickles too.
There's ice cold tea that's syrupy sweet,
And cool, green grass beneath your feet;
Catfish nipping in the lake,
And fresh young boys on the make.
You'll see all these things
And much, much more,
In a way of life that I adore.
Copyright 2008 Patricia Neely-Dorsey
from Reflections of a Mississippi Magnolia-A Life In Poems


BOOK AVAILABLE: www.reeds.ms/book.asp
or www.Amazon.com
AUTHOR WEBSITE: www.patricianeelydorsey.webs.com

MaMaK said...

I happened across your blog today, looking for Southern sites. You are delightful and funny!

I live in OK now but miss my former home in Louisiana. We Southerners know the value of a family's love, a great cornbread recipe and good advice!

The secret to telling folks to "kiss my grits" is to smile sweetly and say it in your most Southern accent! Folks think you're saying something nice!